Crocus Sativus (Saffron Crocus)
Top Size Bulbs 12/+
• Orders placed before September 15th will be shipped out by late September/early October.
• Orders placed after September 15th will be shipped out within 10 business days.
• We will continue to ship until December 15th.
• Amaryllis bulbs will continue to ship until mid February or until supplies last.
Select your bulb quantity here or adjust it in the quantity box below
We ship everywhere in Europe!
100% Grow Guarantee!
Rated 4.7 out of 5 by our customers
Coveted and cultivated for 2,000 years for its highly prized stamens (saffron), Crocus Sativus, also known as Saffron Crocus, is a very interesting Autumn-flowering species. The bulbs can be left in the ground for 6 years, producing plenty of blooms in the first year but saving its best saffron harvest for the second year after planting. This lovely and showy crocus produces large, rich lilac flowers with distinctive purple veins and three long, deep-red stigmas that extend beyond the petals.
Did you know that DutchGrown™ are specialists in the production of Crocus Sativus Bulbs in Holland? We supply the biggest bulbs on the market - 9/10 cm – and in order to maximise saffron production, we apply a special temperature treatment to our bulbs in our climate-controlled cells. We have had a special relationship with the leading cultivator in Holland for many years and are able to maintain an excellent stock.
It takes 40,000 flowers to produce around half a kilo of saffron – so it is little surprise that saffron has long been the most expensive spice by weight in the world. If you would like to cultivate your own saffron, around 150 flowers will produce around one gram. Just follow these simple steps:
When the crocuses are in flower in autumn, harvest the saffron strands by removing the long, deep-red stigmas using tweezers. (Each flower produces only three stigmas, so be careful.)
Allow the harvested stigmas to dry out thoroughly by arranging them on a paper towel and leaving them for a few days in a warm, dry place, then store in an air-tight container.
Use very sparingly in a wide range of dishes, both savoury and sweet, where they will add colour and flavour.
Height: Up to 20–30 cm.
Bulb Size: Top Size 9/10 cm.
• Blooms in Autumn.
· Plant your flower bulbs in autumn
· Plant in borders or containers in sun or partial shade
· Plant the bulbs three times the size of the bulb deep
· Space the bulbs two times the size of the bulb apart
· Plant the bulbs with the pointed side facing upwards
For more information, click here to read our How-to-Guides
View our shipping rates per EU country here.
• We start shipping our flower bulbs by early October.
• We will continue to ship until the end of November or until supplies last.
View our shipping schedule overview
For over 4 generations, DutchGrown™ has built its reputation by offering the best Autumn-planted flowers bulbs available anywhere. We take pride in our exceptionally high level of quality control customer service, and our commitment to client satisfaction continues long after the bulbs leave our premises. When you order from DutchGrown™, we 100% guarantee that you will receive the hardiest flower bulbs available, packed with care and ready to thrive in your garden. Read more.